Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Moons over my hammy...

Yesterday was Dad's birthday, the big 59! My father is most unlike other fathers i know. He is musical and funny and angry and sarcastic all at the same time. It is a winning combination. I have been thinking a lot about him this past month and remembering all kinds of funny things about him. (thus the "got milk" post) I recruited the help of my siblings to purchase him some studio time so he could record some of the many songs he has written (in his head) over the years so that we would, have some kind of record of his prolific song writing ability. I searched and searched for a card just right to put the gift certificate into. I found one that reminded me of him so much I had to have it. The card had a picture of an old man with a wrinkly but mooning. It said that while I was sure he had been mooned before he may not have been pruned.

When we were little and living in Phoenix, AZ, we had our share of crazy neighbors. (It is a curse I clearly still carry to this day. ) This particular neighbor was in the habit of peering over our fence and into our windows. My father had asked him to stop but he disavowed all knowledge and simply stated he was checking a meter on the outside of his own home.

One day we were sitting in our family room which had a large picture window in one wall. My dad calmly asked us children to leave the room and so we did. We only returned when we heard my mother dying with laughter.

Apparently, my father, the head of our household and shining example, had decided that enough was enough in regard to our peeping tom and was going to take matters in to his own... um.. Hands??

You guessed it!! He gave the creepy neighbor the old brown eye!! My mom was both horrified and consumed in a fit of laughter. My father, calm as a cucumber, simply stated that he gave the man something to stare at and did not suppose he would need to peer through our windows any more.

And he never did..... as far as we know.
They quickly sold their house and moved.
Ha Ha
Love you Dad!!
(if only it had been this pretty!!)

4 comments:

  1. Great Story,
    This only concretes the opinion I had in my last comment..
    Hugs and Kisses
    Wendy
    Loved the old Lady bit too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good times!!! No noodle salad foo yoo. What a great picture you found to go with the story. Keep up the good work - I need all the laughs I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember the brown robe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I had forgotten about the robe. classic.

    ReplyDelete